17144559240 [email protected]


Victim of a Crime / Victima de Crimen


U-Visa: Victim of a Crime

A U visa is a nonimmigrant visa available to undocumented immigrants who have suffered serious physical or mental abuse and can help law enforcement in the investigation of a crime. This visa requires aggressive, relentless work with the aid of an attorney and the participation of law enforcement, prosecutors, and judges.

U-Visas was created to provide protection to victims of certain crimes as well as people who serve as informants and/ or witnesses in certain criminal cases. These visas require certification from law enforcement authorities such as a prosecutor’s office or local police departments that the victim has cooperated, is cooperating, or whose cooperation is needed in an investigation or prosecution of a crime. A grant of one of these visas may result in Permanent Resident Status.

Qualifying Crimes that Establish Eligibility for a U- Visa (Victim)

The U visa process can be stressful. Not only does the applicant need to be a victim of a serious crime but they must work with law enforcement to cooperate with Form I-918B Supplement B, Nonimmigrant Status Certification.

 Victims of the following crimes can apply for a U visa:

  • Witness tampering
  • Unlawful criminal restraint
  • Trafficking
  • Torture
  • Slave trade
  • Sexual exploitation
  • Sexual assault
  • Rape
  • Prostitution
  • Perjury
  • Peonage
  • Obstruction of justice
  • Murder
  • Manslaughter
  • Kidnapping
  • Involuntary servitude
  • Incest
  • Hostage
  • Female genital mutilation
  • Felonious assault
  • False imprisonment
  • Extortion
  • Domestic violence
  • Blackmail
  • Abusive sexual contact
  • Abduction
  • Armed robbery

If you or a loved one is a candidate for a U visa, let the Law Offices of Abner Pinedo guide and help you through this process. There is no time limit to apply for a U visa and this status can be used as relief during deportation proceedings. With so many elements necessary to prove the case for this type of non-immigrant visa, the attorney you choose makes a difference.

Take the first step to secure a U visa by calling 

(714) 455-9240. We are fluent in English and Spanish.

Let’s Work Together